Bahamasair unaccompanied minor service allows children in certain circumstances to travel alone on our flights. We have established the following guidelines for our unaccompanied minor service.
- Children 5 to 14 year old qualify for the unaccompanied minor service and may travel on Bahamasair on non-stop or same-plane flights
- Children 15-17 years old are considered young adults and are not required to use the unaccompanied minor service. However, the unaccompanied minor service is available to them upon request and under the same provisions.
- Connections to flights of other airlines are permitted only when allowed by the rules of the connecting carrier. We are not responsible for unaccompanied minors while they are traveling on other carriers.
- A fee of $50.00 one way international and $25.00 one way on domestic flights is assessed for providing the unaccompanied minor service.
When making your child’s reservation, we will request telephone numbers for parents or guardians. At check-in, you will also be asked to provide names, addresses, home and business phone numbers for you and the party meeting your child. This information is used in identifying the party meeting your child upon arrival, and it will assist us in contacting you if necessary. We recommend checking in early at the airport to ensure that you have adequate time to complete the required paperwork and pre-board your child.
The welfare of unaccompanied minors is a matter we take very seriously. In advance or upon check-in, if there is a possibility that your child’s flight might be delayed or misconnect for any reason, we may change your child’s flight schedule, including the departure date.
An airport representative will assist your child at the connecting city, escort your child to his or her next flight, and deliver your child to the person meeting him or her at the destination airport. We do not accept reservations for an unaccompanied child if it would mean his or her connecting flight would be after 5:00pm EST.
Additional details on our unaccompanied minor service are available from Reservations.
- You should stay with your child until he or she boards the aircraft and until the flight leaves the gate.
- Provide your child with an extra copy of his or her contact phone numbers.
- Before going to the airport, explain what will happen during the child’s trip. This may include teaching him or her about airplanes, sounds, connecting flights, etc. – in general, just what to expect.
- Provide your child with books, food, or other items which can help entertain him or her during the trip.
- Let us know if it is your child’s first flight so that, if time permits, we can give him or her a little extra attention.
- Keep a copy of your child’s passport.